Quintessential berkeley4 BED, 1.5 BATH
2040 sqft. (apx.)
OFFERED AT $1,195,000
In a neighborhood that was the hub of Berkeley Bohemia of the 1920s, home to artists, scientists, inventors, writers and musicians, 1051 Keith Avenue was in the center of it all. Rumor has it that Rudolph Valentino visited here; that Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix stayed in adjacent cottages when they performed in Berkeley. Built in tandem with the house next door, reportedly by a set designer for the 1920’s silent movie industry, 1051 Keith Avenue is sited at the first rise uphill from the Gourmet Ghetto.
You enter another world: ascend stone steps through an enchanting garden surrounded by majestic trees and a cascading waterfall; pause on the large front deck and enjoy privacy and stunning bay views. The entry columns alert you to the artistry to be found inside: unique geometric wood floors, statement fireplace, decorative plaster finishes on walls and ceilings. This is one of those rare homes that will amaze and delight its next fortunate owners with each homecoming for many years to come!
“Shapely oak trees and views of the glistening bay made the Berkeley hills inviting places to hike, picnic, and build a home. Something about Berkeley’s climate and location attracted a large number of nature-lovers in the early 20th century. Many of the city’s artists were influenced by the natural world and then used their art to promote a radical new philosophy of natural living.”
-Berkeley Historical Society
- Expansive living/dining room with grand fireplace and bay views will accommodate large groups during holidays and special occasions
- Impressively carved entry door, rumored to be created by original owner Mrs. Beygreau and reputedly displayed at SF World’s Fair
- Large informal kitchen with lots of counter space, room for a table, stainless appliances, laundry, and even a pot faucet over the stove!
- Four bedrooms all upstairs; master features fireplace, double closet and mesmerizing bay views
- One full bath upstairs; powder room off kitchen downstairs
- Bay views from both levels
- Peaceful back garden and large front deck for entertaining
- Street-level garage
- Only a few blocks from the Gourmet Ghetto, the Berkeley Rose Garden, and just a few minutes to UC Berkeley campus, BART, and wonderful Berkeley coffee houses, top restaurants, shops and amenities
|Days on Market||26 (listed 08/08/2017, sold 09/28/2017)|
|Difference||3.97% over asking|
|Number of Stories||Two Story|
|Number of Rooms||7|
|Square feet (apx)||2,040 sq ft|
|Lot Square feet (apx)||6,493 sq ft|
|Heating||Forced Air 1 Zone|
|Fireplace(s)||2, Living Room,Master Bedroom,Stone,Other|
|Garage||Yes, Detached Garage, 1 spaces|
|Flooring||Hardwood Flrs Throughout,Tile|
|Kitchen Features||Dishwasher,Eat In Kitchen,Gas Range/Cooktop,Range/Oven Free Standing,Refrigerator,Updated Kitchen|
Sought after for its high quality of life, spectacular views, steep winding streets, spacious parks and forested hilltop homes, the...More
Internationally known for its cultural diversity, environmental sensitivity, and dynamic academic life, the leafy university town of...More
Need more info?
LOCATED ON redoakrealty.com